Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Reflective Blogging Assignment #3

"Nothing is really secure, GET OVER IT!"

For this weeks blog post, I will discuss the idea that, "Nothing is really secure, GET OVER IT!"

The fact that someone can even make this statement frustrates and scares me.  For many people, almost everything is done on some-soft of computer and unfortunately, if not handled properly, can be dangerous.  In the past decade, identity theft has become significantly popular, and with the growth of online EVERYTHING, identity theft has become an even bigger problem.  Online shopping is growing rapidly, and this may be one of the biggest causes for identity theft.  People are giving away their credit card information to the businesses online.  I personally am a big fan of online shopping, and especially on Amazon.  I make sure to buy from reliable seller's, however I am always a bit suspicious of who I am buying from.  

Another problem that we discussed earlier in class, is the idea of webcam hacking.  This can be extremely dangerous because webcams can pick up both images and sound.  If someone is discussing important information over the phone, this information could potentially be hacked.  As we talked about in class, having a sliding bar that covers the webcam is a nice feature.  It would also be nice if this could block sound.

And for the quote, get over it, I completely disagree and will not get over it.  The fact that these problems are happening so often is absurd.  In order to prevent this, people need to be much safer with giving out their information.  Also, individuals who are doing the hacking need to be punished with strict consequences.  It would be nice to see these problems decrease, however as stated earlier, with the increase in technology use and information given, this may be a hard task.  Therefore, individuals need to be extra safe with their information and valuables.     

--Shane Leadholm

1 comment:

  1. If you read my blog, you will see that I mention a lot of the same things in this week's reflective blogging question. I too, frequently shop online. I purchased all of this semester's text books from Ebay as well as used paypal to do so. Even then, it still sketches me out knowing that even sites that specialize in keeping your identity and bank account information safe--are not all that safe in reality.

    ReplyDelete