Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Reflective Blogging Assignment #7


    Should SMS be accepted as a new language and taught in schools?

Its amazing to think how popular SMS messaging has become in the last decade.  It has become so popular, that it is now causing huge problems with texting and driving.  So a big question is, where will texting go next? And will it be accepted or even taught in schools?

When I was in high school 3 years ago, SMS was NOT allowed in my high school by any means.  I got caught texting several times, and each time my phone was taken away. There was a rule that if you got caught texting more than 3 times, then your parents have to come in and get your phone.  I have a younger brother who is now in high school, and I asked him about the rules on texting in school.  You are now allowed to use your phones during class, only if it is to do something related to class.  However, he said that they aren't very strict.  He also said that they can text in the hallways and during lunch time.  This is a HUGE step from when I was in high school, and I am now wondering if the next step is to start teaching SMS in schools. 

I personally believe that SMS doesn't need to be taught in schools.  Kids are smart enough where they can figure it out on their own.  However, I believe the acceptance of SMS in schools will continue to grow, as long as it isn't a disturbance in classrooms.  

In the future, I plan on becoming an educator, and I will be curious to see the environment of SMS in the classroom.  Personally, I wouldn't want to teach it in my classrooms, but I plan on accepting it, as long as it isn't much of a distraction.  (Im sure not all teachers feel this way though!) 


3 comments:

  1. I agree with your blog. I said something quite similar and yes, it should be assumed that students in today's society are smart enough to figure it out on their own without having to be taught how to SMS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. And I feel as though the class time could be used to teach more course related materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. School are struggling as it is, both financially and trying to teach kids the information they need to know. So I agree with you that SMS should not be taught in schools. Plus, we had to figure out what all of the acronyms meant, without using precious classtime. It would just be a waste of resources, and I think that using that sort of a language can inhibit people's ability to express themselves through writing.

    ReplyDelete